MEDITATION OF HEAVEN AND EARTH
Also called the
and the Unity Breath
by Drunvalo Melchizedek
This meditation is as old as humanity. Yet it is just as important today as it was thousands of years ago. It is a meditation that has form and direction with a purpose of allowing an ordinary person to consciously experience the presence of God. God is always present everywhere — but very often, as humans, we forget. This meditation lets us remember.
I first experienced this meditation about six or seven years ago while I was about to go on stage at a consciousness convention in Georgia, USA. I was behind the stage in front of a meditation altar that someone had built for the speakers. I was silently meditating — not thinking of anything at all — when suddenly, out of nowhere, Sri Yukteswar, Yogananda’s guru, appeared to me in my inner vision. I had never seen him before. He appeared as real as life.
He told me that there was a meditation I needed to know for what I was going to do in the future. Then he explained in great detail what it was that I should do to achieve the state of consciousness that he called the ”Unity Breath.” He then looked straight into my eyes and told me that I was to drop what I was going to talk about, go on stage, and teach this meditation. Then he disappeared.
I have many inner experiences, and no matter where they come from, I always check with my inner guides — my angels — to see if the information or requested action is appropriate. The angels made it very clear to me that this was something that was good for me and the Earth — and so I did as I had been told.
I walked onto the stage with no experience of the meditation — just gave the instructions and then, for the first time, experienced the meditation myself. I was amazed at the simplicity of this meditation, and yet the power of the results. It changed my life, and unknowingly prepared me for much that came later.
I had assumed that this meditation was known only by the Hindus and Sri Yukteswar’s lineage, but I soon learned that my assumption was far from the truth. As I traveled around the world and encountered many indigenous tribes, I found that in almost every case these tribes knew and used a version of this meditation. In fact, what I believe now is that almost all (and maybe it is all) tribes on the Earth use or have used this meditation in some form. Each tribe has slight variations, but it is always the same outline and final result.
I have found this meditation used with only slight variations by the Aboriginals in Australia, the Maori in New Zealand, the Zulu in Africa, the Hopi, Taos, and Lakota Native Americans, the Kahuna in Hawaii, the Eskimos in Alaska, the Mayans in the Yucatan — and others. Before any sacred ceremony begins, first they enter into this meditation.
The only real difference among the variations was the way in which the meditator connected with Father Sky or the Divine Father. Sri Yukteswar asked me, in connecting with the Divine Father, to connect with the sacred grids that surround the Earth, realizing that these sacred grids are connected to All Life Everywhere. But the grid concept is not known to very many indigenous tribes. What most of them do is connect with our sun, believing that our sun is connected to all other suns and ultimately to All Life Everywhere. One tribe, the Hopi, have the concept of the Great Central Sun, and this is their connection to connect with All Life Everywhere.
What I know and believe is that it doesn’t make any difference which concept we connect with. It is our intention that matters. And so, if you decide to use this meditation, use the Divine Father connection that feels right to you.
The Meditation of Heaven and Earth
The instructions that follow are simplified so that anyone can do this.
You can be living anywhere on Earth. Just find a quiet place and sit comfortably, on the Earth itself if possible, and close your eyes.
- Begin to breathe rhythmically and evenly — meaning that you inhale in the same amount of time that you exhale. Relax, and let your everyday thoughts go. Just simply follow your breath.
- In your inner vision, see a beautiful scene from nature. Whatever you see as beautiful, whether it is in the mountains, the desert, the ocean — it doesn’t matter. If it is the mountains, for example, you might see their peaks covered with snow. You might picture rivers, trees, and the animals, and see white, billowing clouds in the sky. Breathe in the clean, fresh mountain air. Do something similar with whatever place you have chosen that is dear to your heart. And in your heart, feel the love that you have for nature and for Mother Earth. Allow this love to become strong until your very body feels this love.
- Then take this love that you have for Mother Earth and place it in a little ball — perhaps two inches across — and with your intention send this little ball filled with your love down to the center of the Earth. You send it with the intention that Mother Earth feels the love that you have for Her. And then you wait.
- You wait for Mother Earth to send Her love back to you. She always will, as you are Her child. Some people experience it immediately and for others it takes a little while. It is a very real experience. It is not an intellectual thing. It is not you saying to yourself, ”I am now feeling Mother Earth’s love.” When Mother Earth’s love returns to you, it will be as sweet as the time that your own mother looked into your eyes when you were a baby. Feel this love, and let it move all through your body. Let it move through every cell in your body. Let it move even into your Light Body, and all that you are. And for a time — as long as you wish — simply stay in this connected love, with yourself in the arms of the Divine Mother.
- When the time seems right, and without breaking the connection with the Divine Mother, turn your attention to the Divine Father, who is the rest of creation other than the Earth.In your inner vision, see a night sky filled with the multitude of stars of the Milky Way. See the planets, the sun (which would have to be over the horizon), and the moon. See the beauty of Creation, and feel the love that you have for the Divine Father. Allow this love to grow stronger until you are ready to burst with tears of love.
- And then, just as with the Mother, gather this love and put it into a little ball, and with your intention send it into the Heavens. Either send it to the sacred grids around the Earth, if you understand them, or send it to the Central Sun, if you understand what that means. Or — which is what most indigenous people do — send it to our own sun. It is your intention that matters. And then you wait.
- As with the Mother, you wait until the Father sends His love back to you. He always will, as you are His son. When you feel this love return to you, let it move throughout your body and to all your cells. Let it move even into your Light Body and all that you are. Again, you can stay in this love with the Father as long as you wish.
- Realize that at this moment you are in love with the Divine Mother and Father at the same time. This is extremely rare, for a human being to experience this. And realize even further that the Holy Trinity is now being manifest on Earth. The Divine Mother, the Divine Father, and you — the Divine Child — are all bound by Love in a Holy Triangle.According to Sri Yukteswar, it is only from this sacred place of the Holy Trinity that the Creator can be seen so clearly and experienced so directly.
- Now, without breaking the bonds of love between your Divine Parents, simply allow the presence of God to be experienced directly. Allow God to come within your body as well as all around you. What happens now is between you and God. Trust yourself, as you are a Child of God. Believe in yourself, as you are one with the Source.From this point on, there are no words.
May this meditation be a blessing in your life and to all those you touch.
Credits: The above artwork is by Francene Hart, who also has just published a Sacred Geometry Tarot deck with Bear & Company (http://www.awakenvisions.com/hart/).
MEDITATION: AN EXPLORATION OF THE SELF
What I am about to say represents my own beliefs. I trust you to see it as opinion, not absolute truth. I honor you and your way, as you honor mine, for the “I Am Presence” lives within each of us.
The Darkness Within
We close our eyes, and we are engulfed in darkness. Our inner world seems to be a vacant, dark world blocking out the everyday experience we believe to be the Reality. When we close our eyes, our inner world seems to put the outer Reality on ”pause” — but it doesn’t appear to be more than that.
But we know that there is more because of our dreams. When we initially close our eyes, we enter into the same, familiar darkness. But when we sleep, our consciousness changes, and we begin to see images. These images can become so real that we believe, while the dream is happening, that the dream is Reality.
So we do know that there is ”something” behind or within the darkness of our closed eyes. But what is it?
Humankind has probably studied meditation from the beginning. You can just feel those ancient eyes looking into the darkness, searching for a meaning and a connection to the outer world. In this simple way meditation was probably born.
Today, as in ancient times, a human being automatically begins to search for the purpose of life and the reasons that things are the way they are. This searching is innate. It seems to be created right into our genes.
But this natural searching can very often be squelched in the child as he or she begins to explore, and when this happens, the mind and the heart shut down in fear. The reasons that parents and mentors shut down the inner searching in children are varied — and perhaps the reasons don’t really matter. But the result matters. The result on Earth today of this shutting down of our inner searching is that most people have no idea of the true nature of the world that we live in.
When we begin to interpret what is happening in our lives, and the inner images and the colors we see begin to interweave with the everyday scenes (also images) within our lives, meditation is born. It is all so simple. Are we not simply trying to understand ourselves, where we live, and why we are on Earth?
But there is, of course, much that is hidden behind the images.
As the practice of meditation grew around the world over a period of thousands of years, it became differentiated by its various teachers. Each teacher mapping the inner landscape of consciousness found different pathways to be more important than others. And so today there are many ways to explore the inner self. In most cases, each meditator believes that his or her way is the best, and sometimes the only, way to God and to Enlightenment.
I believe, however, that all choices — especially when it comes to exploring your own spiritual life — are best left up to you. As convincing as any path may be, truth only comes through direct experience.
In this issue, we will offer for your contemplation several of the ”paths to God” — an incomplete selection, to be sure, for the subject is so vast.
On the other hand Shiva, a Hindu tradition, believes that there are exactly (and only) 113 forms of mediations in the world, and that even if you made up a brand new one, it would still fall into one of the 113 forms. Interestingly, 112 of these forms are male, and only one — either the first or last — is female. The first eight male forms are breathing forms, and the last 104 are unique. The one female form (if it is a form at all) has no form. It cannot be told to someone how it is done. It can only be experienced.
After deeply experiencing the inner worlds, one realization that all teachers and students of meditation everywhere in the world arrive at is that there is a relationship between the inner and the outer worlds. What most have found is that everything is alive and everything is connected, including the inner and outer worlds. And what many have found is that what seems to be the outer world of everyday life, is really part of the inner Self. This leads to Self-Realization where, in time, it becomes clear that you and God are intimately connected.
Naturally, there are those who believe the exact opposite, and give their power away to another person, place, or thing outside of their direct experience. Doing this creates problems, for the truth cannot be found except within.
The Higher Self
In many of the spiritual traditions of the world, there is a belief that the human spirit simultaneously exists on other levels of life besides this three-dimensional Earth. In these cases there is a reference to what is called the ”Higher Self” or a term very similar such as the ”High Self.” It is believed that we live this human life, but that there are other levels or parts of us that are living other kinds of lives, such as within the Angelic worlds.
In some traditions it is believed that we are merely connected to these higher worlds, but not actually part of them. In the Christian tradition, for example, it is believed that we all have a ”Guardian Angel” that God has ”given us” who invisibly looks over us and protects us while we live our ordinary life here on Earth. Some people think this is fantasy — and from a pragmatic viewpoint, it would seem that way. But even from a pragmatic viewpoint, one must question why such a ”fantasy” has survived even into this modern world with such power and frequency?
In my tradition, and from what I have found in meditation, there are parts of me that live in other worlds and — in truth — in all other worlds, and communication between these parts. And, once communication is established, a way of seeing the interrelated aspects of nature become clear.
Further, I have found that there are Higher Selves connected to Higher Selves connected to even Higher Selves all the way to the Creator and the Source of all life.
Perhaps you believe a different way, and this is why I began this discussion by saying this is my opinion. But no matter what you believe, if you truly go deep enough within your own self, I feel you will discover the beauty, the grandeur, and the truth of who you really are, the Mighty I Am.
In love and service,